Recently I saw a blog post from the Pioneer Woman about how she makes a large container of iced coffee to last her about a month. This begged three question from me.
1. Does it still taste good at the end of the month?
2. Do I even have a container large enough to hold a month's worth of coffee?
3. Will drinking iced coffee in the morning instead of my usual hot coffee upset the time continuum?
So I improvised and made my own technique and storage option. I don't have one of those pretty glass drink dispensers that she used, so I just use a regular drink pitcher. The Pioneer Woman also used restaurant style containers and a cheesecloth to brew and strain her coffee. I'm not going to traipse through the store with two toddlers looking for a cheesecloth, so once again I improvised!
After talking to my sister ( a barista at a well known coffee joint- rhymes with Schmarbucks) I now know the secret to iced coffee and I would like to share it with you!
1. Brew a full pot of coffee at DOUBLE strength. This is key so it won't taste watered down after you place ice cubes in the drink.
2. Pour the coffee into a pitcher and add sugar at this point if you like it sweetened. Dissolving sugar in refrigerated coffee is nearly impossible.
3. Each morning put some ice cube in a glass, fill your glass half full with coffee and the other half with the dairy product of your choice. Except yogurt, because that would be disgusting.
This amount of coffee lasts my husband and me about one week. Brewing one week's worth at a time is a way it ensure that it never gets that old coffee flavor.
I love opening up the fridge and already having my coffee made. It makes my morning routine a bit easier. If my husband is running late for work, he doesn't have to wait for a pot of coffee to finish brewing, he just grabs some out of the fridge.
Now, I probably will still opt for my steaming cup of joe on those blustery winter Colorado mornings, but for the summer, I've found a routine that has added simplicity and elegance to my morning routine.
Now for my freebie Friday giveaway!!!!! I will be sending two lucky readers a free bag of Starbucks coffee so you can try this whole iced coffee idea. If you want to drink it hot, I guess that's okay too.
Here are the contest rules. Leave me a message here on my blog or on my Facebook page "Striving for Elegance" about your favorite "elegance" tip and the reason that's your favorite. Only one entry per person. I will be randomly selecting the winners. Check my facebook page and my blog to see the winner's names! If you are a winner, I will be mailing your Starbucks coffee next week to your doorstep!
***Disclaimer****I'm not paid spokeperson for Starbucks, the opinions stated here do not necessarily reflect those of my husband, and any person depicted in this blog is innocent until found guilty in a court of law. Did I cover my bases?
I look forward to hearing from you and remember to check if you're a winner tomorrow morning!