Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 15: Elegant giving

I love giving gifts.  Especially unexpected gifts, but what I love more than that is receiving unexpected gifts.  What... I'm just being honest!  I think it's so special when I invite someone over to dinner and they bring me a hostess gift.  I have received dishtowels from Williams and Sonoma, a little cookbook, flowers, and bag of coffee.  There may be more, but that's all I can think of as I type this blog VERY late at night.

Recently I read a book by Shannon Hale called, "The Actor and the Housewife."  Okay, I read most of it.  Okay, part of it.  Anyways, the main character in the book talked about how every Wednesday she made two pies.  One for her family, and one to give away.  I thought that was a wonderful idea!  If there is a day designated in which to do your baking it becomes a habit, and your gift giving intentional.

Now I don't do pies.  I'm not so sure that someone would want to eat a pie I made.  However, I do make a mean chocolate chip cookie!  It would be very beneficial for me to choose one day a week in which I can lace up my apron and whip up a batch of cookies.  I could send them to work with my husband, take them to a neighbor, give them to someone at church, mail them to my sister at college, etc.  I don't think there is a single, solitary person on this earth who doesn't appreciate home-baked goods.

Giving gifts is a way of making friends, showing appreciation, meeting a new neighbor, teaching your daughter or son the importance of reaching out to people, and being a gracious person.  It doesn't have to be cookies or pies.  Here comes my list of ideas...

1.  Scented candle wrapped with raffia.
2.  Houseplant/ flowers
3.  Card or note
4.  Ingredients for cookies in a mason jar with directions for cooking wrapped around the lid.
5.  Extra veggies from your garden
6.  Loaf of home made bread

And the list could go on, but again it's late and my brain is done thinking.

Let your elegant manner and nature shine through in reaching out to people.  Gifts do NOT have to be expensive, but they need to be given with love and cheerfulness.  What a special lesson we teach our children when we make it a habit to think of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment