Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 4: Curb Appeal

The front of your house is what first greets your guests and passersby.  Does it say, "I'm happy you're here," or does it say, "Watch out for the dog poop and weeds?" My house is tiny and my yard is big, and I can do a few things to spruce it up and make it more elegant on the outside.

My allotted time for yardwork per week equals about zero.  Pulling weeds is like #19906 on my to do list. However, I acknowledge that having my house look welcoming on the outside is important.

I'm not talking about ripping up your patio and installing an outdoor kitchen complete with granite countertops (although that would be lovely).  I'm talking about giving your front porch a good sweep, planting some brightly colored flowers, mowing your lawn, or adding a cute wreath to your front door.

Today, I decided to forgo my Sunday nap and work on the outside of the house.  I have pictures to prove it..........

 The outside of our abode before the sprucing up
 Another before shot
 Can you tell the yard was mowed?  Well it was :)
 My cute planter I installed on the front of the house.  I say "installed" because it sounds a lot more impressive than just "hung up."

 Here is a wreath I added to the front door.  I actually made this wreath because buying a wreath is way too expensive!  I bought a basic grapevine wreath and added some silk flowers and berries to it.  Voila!
A close up of my new planter.  I'm very proud of this.  It's cute. It was on sale for $5.99.  Boo-ya!

So Day 4 of my quest for elegance was a success.  I love pulling up to my house and seeing the yard look somewhat in order, the sunny wreath on my door, and my new flower planter.  I feel welcome as I walk up to my front door and I hope my guests feel the same way.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. However, we're going the totally rip out the sod and make a wall route this time! They come on Saturday! But I don't have a summer time wreath. I'll have to make one!

    ReplyDelete