Friday, February 1, 2013

14 Days of Valentines: Molten Lava Cakes

Day 2: Molten Lava Cakes

Good-morning! If you're looking for a fabulous dessert to "Wow" your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, children, friends, etc. for Valentine's Day, then look no further. Molten Lava Cakes are what dreams are made of. They are not only simple to prepare, but they have a short baking time, so you will be delighting your tastebuds with very little effort and very little wait. That could be a dangerous thing, people. I have no idea what the caloric intake is on these babies, nor do I want to know. All I need to know is that chocolate is involved, and I'm SOLD. Add in molten lava-like chocolate, and I'm OVER THE MOON. Everyone who has had a Molten Lava Cake at my house has requested the recipe. I promise, they are DREAM-LIKE! I made these a few years ago when Emily and her mom were here visiting me, and they loved 'em. They went home with the recipe, and I have heard back from Emily's mom that she has made them several times. I know you will enjoy them, too.


Molten Lava Cakes

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. For baking, I use greased ramekins (custard cups) that are 3 1/2 inches wide by 2 inches deep, and the recipe fills 5 of those. (I bought my ramekins several years ago at Pier 1 for $2). So, grease your ramekins and set on a cookie sheet. In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate and butter on high for about 1 minute, until butter is melted. Once the butter is melted, remove from microwave and whisk until the chocolate is also melted. Stir in powdered sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in flour.
Divide between cups.
Bake 15 minutes (baking time will vary depending on your oven) until sides are firm and center is soft. Very important: LET STAND 1 MINUTE. Invert onto a plate, top with vanilla ice-cream or fresh whipped cream and serve immediately. Enjoy!
~ Jennifer
And, may all your dreams be of chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment