Tuesday, February 5, 2013

14 Days of Valentines: Cherry Limeade

Day 5: Homemade Cherry Limeade

For as long as I can remember, cherry limeade has been my all-time favorite drink. Growing up in a small town, we were blessed with a local burger joint that not only made the best burgers and homestyle onion rings, but they made the very best cherry limeade on Earth! Sometimes during the summer months my mom would take my siblings and I and drive thru Mr. Burger to get lunch. I remember the very taste of the crispy onion rings, the tang of the mustard on my burger, and oh, how I remember the cherry limeades. Lucky for me, this burger joint is still in business, and every time I go home to visit my parents, my sweet husband drives thru The Burger (the name has changed, the food has not!) to get me a cherry limeade as soon as we roll in to town. There is no other drink quite like it. Cherry Limeades are nostalgic for me. I have tried cherry limeades at countless other places, all over the country, Sonic included, and none of them compare to the "real thing" found in my little home town. One time my sister made the 3 hour drive from my hometown to where we live now, and brought me a cherry limeade from The Burger. She had them make it without ice, so that it wouldn't be watered down. Oh, it was so good!!!
Since I can't make a 3 hour trip every afternoon for my favorite drink, I've learned to make cherry limeades at home. Of course, this recipe is not like they make at The Burger, but it's a pretty good substitution. I made this the first time for Natalie's 1st Birthday, which was a cupcakes and cherries theme, and every last drop was gone in a flash. I've served this at multiple parties and it always gets rave reviews. If you're looking for a special drink to serve to your Valentines, then this dreamy and pink refreshing drink is sure to hit the spot! Enjoy!
~Jennifer


Cherry Limeade

2 cans frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
3 liter Sprite
6 oz. maraschino cherry juice (or use Cherry Grenadine)

I make this in a 3 gallon drink dispenser. First, dump in the limeade concentrate. Begin by adding approximately 2 liters of Sprite and the cherry juice. Taste and add more Sprite as needed. Some people like their drinks more tart than others, so you will have to adjust according to your preference. You can always add more cherry juice as well. This recipe is just a jumping-off point, perfect the amounts to your own liking.
Serve over ice and top with a cherry! Perfect for a Valentine's Party or drinking on the porch on a hot Summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment