Wednesday, February 6, 2013

14 Days of Valentines: Little Gifts and Simple Sweets

Day 6: Little Gifts and Simple Sweets
Clearly I'm losing it, as I just posted this as Day 5. Oops. Well, it's changed now. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Jamie and I started dating the first week of February, our freshman year in college. I knew that traditionally, couples gave each other some type of Valentine gift, but I wasn't sure what to get him. We had only been on a couple of dates, we weren't "official" yet, and buying a Valentine gift seemed appropriate, yet awkward. What to do, what to do? One of our dates had been to Starbucks, where he ordered a Caramel Macchiato and I ordered a hot chocolate. Don't judge. I was not a coffee-drinker back then. Little did I know, I would marry this coffee-drinking man who would freshly grind OUR coffee each morning and serve me cappuccino "just because". Aww, coffee....
I digress...
Ok, so I knew Jamie liked coffee. While browsing the aisles of the dreaded K-Mart in Temple Terrace, no doubt Emily was with me, I came across a 4-pack of bottled Starbucks' Frappuccino. Score! I also grabbed some Hershey's Hugs (not kisses, that would be too forward) and red tissue paper. Back in my dorm room, I stuffed the Hershey's Hugs into the space around the Frappuccinos, layered on some red tissue paper, and Voila! Valentine gift was complete. It was inexpensive, thoughtful, and Jamie loved it.
For old time's sake, I gave him the same Valentine gift last year, minus the candy and tissue paper.



 Now that I'm a momma, I like to make Valentine's special for my kiddos. Last year we made dessert pizzas together for Valentine's Day, and they were a big hit! When I first told Parker we were going to make dessert pizza, he was VERY skeptical. He even told me it sounded disgusting and he wasn't going to eat it. Obviously, he didn't "get" what dessert pizza was going to be.  Here's what we did: I made a simple sugar cookie recipe, like the one found here. I whipped together 1 block of cream cheese and 1 jar of marshmallow cream. Lastly, I sliced up some fresh strawberries.
I gave the kiddos a sugar cookie (pizza crust), let them cover the cookie with the cream cheese/marshmallow cream mixture (pizza sauce), and then top with strawberries! This was a fun activity and absolutely delicious!
~ Jennifer








No comments:

Post a Comment