Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 27: A little sanctuary

I think each person, man or woman, should have a part of the house that is their "getaway."  I'm not talking about a shrine complete with candles, incense, and pictures of yourself.  I'm talking about a place in the house that you enjoy spending time and making it comfortable for you.

I recently read a blog where the author said she made her kitchen window sill her sanctuary.  She decorated it with trinkets that she loved.  She didn't have a dishwasher and that is where she spent a lot of her time, so she wanted to make it comfortable for herself.  That really struck a chord with me.  While she was doing a chore, she was able to make it a pleasant experience.

Even though I have a dishwasher, I still do end up spending a lot of time at my sink and in my kitchen.  I took a cue from her blog and decided to make my kitchen window a sanctuary.  It's now a place that is enjoyable to look at and it holds personal, special items.




The blue cups on the left are some that I found at an antique shop.  I love blue and white dishes and they are part of my collection.  I put some of my fave lotion, a pretty pink candle and a picture of my precious family.  That way when I'm washing my one thousandth dish of the day, I can look at those sweet faces and be reminded of why I love my job as a mommy!

I encourage you to add elegance to any space in which you often find yourself through the day.  It might be your laundry room, your office, your dining room, etc.  Make it your own, make it simple, make it pretty, and make it elegant.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way about my window above my sink :-) Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete