Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Short Thought for the Day

I hope so far, you have been enjoying our blog now that it's up and running again.  Let us know if you've tried any of the projects so far and how well they've turned out.  If they didn't turn out well, then we don't want to hear from you...kidding :)

Here's my little tidbit for the day.  It's not a project or a craft, just a simple thought.  I've been reading a book about reducing stress and creating a calm environment in our home.  It's by Karen Ladd who has written several books helping moms have a positive attitude in the midst of day to day trials. Today, though, that idea has struck a chord with me.  As I was scrolling through Facebook looking at all the adorable costumes and videos and reading about the plans for trick-or-treating I suddenly started feeling guilty.  My Halloween plans (or lack thereof) for my children were not as intricate, well-planned-out, or as exciting as most other parents.

 So I ask you, does that make me a bad mommy?  I hope you would answer, "Certainly not!"  I would love nothing more than to have craft time during the week to sew my little darlings adorable homemade costumes, or be able to do a craft each day, or carve each pumpkin into a different superhero, but the truth of the matter is, I can't.  At least not right now.  As the guilty feelings crept into my heart, I realized that each of us is in a different stage in life.  There are mothers who have the time to sew costumes, or host Halloween parties, or take their children trick-or-treating for hours.  I have to realize that having 3 children under the age of 4 prevents me from having the time to do all those creative things right now.  But it is a stage and it will pass.  To keep peace in my heart and in my home I can only do so much.  As I've stated before in previous blog posts, elegance is an outward expression in your life that first takes root in your heart.  There's nothing elegant about stretching yourself too thin, or wearing yourself out corralling 2 costumed toddlers and an infant trick-or-treating when they really don't care to go in the first place.  And there is no elegance in comparison.  Don't compare what you're able to do with the next mom.

So to all you mothers out there who have big Halloween plans with your kiddos, more power to ya' and I hope you guys have a BLAST!!!  That might be me next year!  To those mommies in the same stage of life as me, don't worry.  Our time will come and right now lets enjoy the fact that our kids are sort of oblivious to the hype of Halloween.  Let elegance and peace rule in your heart and set limits for yourself.

Now, where did I stash that candy corn?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully said. I have really struggled with thoughts of being a failure as a mom off and on for 3 years. I have had some major back problems and have had 2 big surgeries, 1 small surgery and 1 procedure within 2 years time. My kids are old enough to know what they are missing. I have to do what I can when I can and let go of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I hope that your back is doing better, first of all. Second of all, I hope that you find peace in setting your limits as a mom and there are always special things that we can do for our kiddos that don't take as much time and energy. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete