Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fall Burlap Garland

Usually as soon as the first leaves start falling off the tree I'm begging my husband to get my fall decorations out of storage.  This year, however, I'm just not feeling the fall vibe.  Perhaps it's because it's October 24th and still 70 degrees outside, or perhaps it's that I now have 3 children and decorating and undecorating (is that a word?) for seasons seems overwhelming, or perhaps it just that I'm saving up to go all out for Christmas.  Plus, here's the biggest shocker, I've only had 1 pumpkin spice latte so far this season.  What's wrong with me???????

I've kept my fall decor to a minimum this year, and I wanted to share with you one of my simple projects.  It's a fall garland made from burlap and felt leaves.  I did it one night after the kids were in bed and it took maybe about an hour.  My kind of project these days :)


 I had leftover burlap from another project, so I cut out "V" shapes so it formed a pennant banner look.



 Here is another look at it.



I used stencils and a sharpie, but if you have good penmanship you could totally freehand it.


Then for the leaf garland I cut out leaves from felt and sewed them together.

 Here is the finished product on my mantle.


I was playing with the placement of the garland to see where it looked best.  The total cost for this project was probably about $2.50. I already had the stencils from another project I had done.  Burlap and felt is so inexpensive!

You could change it up and do one for christmas and sew little red and green pom pom balls on it, or really any season or occasion.  Be creative!

 Hmmmmmmm......I think I need a pumpkin spice latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment