Monday, April 29, 2013

Closets and Toys

When you have children, keeping closets and toys organized can seem very overwhelming. I thought I would share with you today a few pictures of my children's closets and what works for our family. I know I definitely have room for improvement and would love to hear your feedback.

First, let me say that I'm hesitant to post pictures of my daughter's closet, for fear that I will be accused of frivolity when it comes to the amount of clothes she has. Her closet looks ridiculous, I admit. BUT, I want to inform you that most of the clothes in her closet have been handed down to us from cousins and close family friends. While I do occasionally buy clothes for her, I usually get them at consignment shops or end-of-season sales. It's rare that I splurge on an outfit for my daughter, although I did enjoy buying a fancy party outfit for her to wear to my sister's wedding shower a month ago.
Ok, with that said, I give you the PINK closet. Ha!
Because my kids have large walk-in closets, we hang most everything. I only fold pajamas, socks, underwear, lounge pants/shorts, and leggings. 
On the left of my daughter's closet, I hang all the clothes that are still too big: Dresses for next season, seasonal/holiday tops that I've gotten really good deals on at after-holiday sales, hand-me-down dresses that are too big, etc.

In the middle section of the closet, on the top, I hang dresses and skirts that are in season and are the correct size. On the bottom rack, I hang shorts, capris, tops, and light jackets. My daughter is allowed to choose an outfit from this rack to wear each morning, and knows that she may not change clothes whenever she wishes. Occasionally I have an opinion about what she's going to wear, but most of the time I let her choose. What can I say? The girl has style. ;)



For shoe organization, I got really thrifty and cut an old shoe organizer in half. It's the perfect length to hang on this bottom rack, making it easy for my daughter to organize her shoes herself. This has been a huge improvement to her closet. 
Also, you can see that in the corner she has a basket for stuffed animals. Do you get overwhelmed with stuffed animals? She has a few that stay on her bed because she sleeps with them, but the rest stay tidy in this basket. Next to the basket is a plastic container housing all of the puzzles she likes to play with.


On the right side of the closet, we have a pink organizing shelf that came from Target. This holds books, magnet dolls in ziplock bags, and green pull-out bins for random toys.
This closet set-up is manageable for my 3 year old and helps to keep things off of the floor.

I also wanted to share with you the hair-bow organizer that I made for her. I completely stole this idea from a friend on Facebook. I already had a cork-board that I was not using, so this was perfect. I bought fabric that coordinated with the room decor. Using a staple gun, I covered the cork-board with the fabric, then added rows of ribbon to clip the hair-bows to. This project took less than 10 minutes and has been the perfect solution to organizing the hair-bows. I have this hanging on the wall next to the bathroom sink.






 Below are a few pictures of my son's closet. I hang his dress-pants and shirts on the top rack and his school/play clothes on the bottom rack. On the right side of the closet are the clothes that I've bought at end-of-season sales that are still too big. We don't get a-lot of hand-me-downs for him, since he's the oldest boy cousin, so his closet is not nearly as full.
He keeps his shoes in the bottom drawer of the built-ins inside the closet.


 In one corner of his closet we keep 2 large plastic buckets for dress-up clothes, swords, shields, weapons, etc.

On the other side of the closet he has this toy organizer we bought at Target. Oddly enough, the toys aren't EXACTLY organized, but he's able to see all of the toys and can find what he needs quickly. The rest of my children's toys belong in the game closet in our basement.


I really like the fact that my children are able to reach most of their clothes. When doing laundry, I fold or hang the clothes, then leave them in the laundry room for my kids to put away (with the exception of their dress clothes, which I hang on the top racks myself). They both know exactly where their clothes belong, whether it be hanging their play clothes or placing their pajamas, socks, underwear, etc. in the proper drawers. This is a chore that they are capable of doing and one that doesn't take too long. 
I hope this post has been helpful to you in some way. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment here on the blog or on our FB page.
~ Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment